Participant of the Summer School on Pediatrics 2014
- Could you introduce yourself?
My name is Matheus, I’m a 24 years old Brazilian Medical Student who is finishing the fourth year in college. I participated in the Summer School on Pediatrics 2014.
- How did you get introduced to the Summer School?
I knew about it from my supervisor and from my friends who participated on it a few years before me.
- What was your motivation to apply for the Summer School?
My will to get a glimpse of how studying abroad feels and my first chance to have contact with Pediatrics.
- What was your opinion about the Summer School in general?
It’s been a wonderful experience. Different people, different contact with academic life, different cultures, different subjects… I wouldn’t change anything about it.
- What did you learn during the Summer School?
I’ve had a general idea of what being a Pediatrician means. It was possible to know some of the many aspects this medical area can offer, and it will certainly be important in my professional decisions in the future.
- What did the Summer School on Pediatrics contribute to your career?
Honestly, it has not definitely affected my professional decisions since I have not graduated yet. However, it made me think about another possibility for it.
- What opportunity is the Summer School offering you now (+description/explanation)?
Mainly, it’s offering me the opportunity of coming back to Groningen, even though not directly. I was completely amazed by the way Medicine is practiced in the Netherlands and by UMCG structure in general. It made me apply for a Brazilian exchange program that is about to give me the chance of studying for a whole year in Groningen.
- Why would you recommend the Summer School on Pediatrics?
I think it’s an excellent opportunity to mix knowledge and fun. While you learn a lot about a specific subject in which you’re probably interested, you are also in touch with many other different people and cultures.